Water damage on carpet or area rug usually causes more damage than accumulated dirt, pet hair and urine, food stains…… In many cases, unfortunately, you will not be able to restore your carpet or area rug, but don’t give up! Depending on how the flooding was and how you act, you may be able to restore your valuable carpet or area rug.
1. What happens if my carpet or area rug is damaged by water?
- Mold and mildew may develop.
- The carpet fibers may be damaged.
- Your carpet may become discolored.
- And finally, you may have to throw it away and replace it.
- If the water is not clean, it could lead to infection or disease.
- The floor underneath or furniture underneath your rug may be damaged.
The first thing to know is that the source of water damage to your carpet or rug is a critical factor that you need to find out before doing anything else.
2. Possible sources of water damage to your carpet or area rug:
- Broken pipes
- Washing machine
- Flooding due to weather conditions.
And really, any occasion when totally or partially your carpet or area rug has been wet for more than 24 hours. Once you know where the water is coming from plus its color, you will be able to determine if the water is clean or dirty and then proceed to clean or restore your area rug if it’s possible.
3. Types of Water Damage on Carpet or Area Rug
Clean Water Damage
It comes from broken pipes, water that overflows from the bathtub… If this is your case, you can relax! It will be the easiest to clean if all the water is extracted from the rug.
Grey Water Damage
It comes from washing machines, dishwashers, bathrooms… With, depending on how you act, and how much the area rug/carpet area has been flooded, among other factors, you may be able to restore it with professional help. although no one can assure you that it will be fully recovered.
Black Water Damage
When the water comes from flooding from a river, sea or sewage the water is unhealthy and can create both disease and infection. So, in this case, you will not be able to revitalize your rug or carpet and you will have to replace it with a new one.
Now you know what type of water you have and therefore the chances of recovering or losing it. At Aero Carpet Services LTD, we always recommend (especially in the case of grey or black water) to consult with a professional to help you find the best solution without any risk to your carpet or area rug and your health.
4. What to do if your carpet or rug gets wet?
- First of all, turn off the electricity to avoid any risk.
- Find out the source of the flooding of your rug or carpet area.
- Act as soon as possible to prevent mold and mildew from forming (within 48 hours maximum but preferably sooner).
- Remove heavy furniture from above the carpet to avoid damaging the fibers.
- If it is an area rug, move it to a dry area to avoid damaging the floor and if possible, hang it to help it dry.
- Use towels and a squeegee if you have one to extract as much water as possible.
- Use a humidifier or fan to help with the drying process.
- If it is a wall-to-wall carpet it will be much tougher to dry if it has been flooded. We recommend you to steam clean your carpet hiring a carpet cleaning company. In most ocassions, you will need to replace the carpet padding eitherways but it will be much cheaper than restore de whole carpet.
- Consult with a professional specialized in water damage restoration on carpets and area rugs to know if it is advisable to try to restore it it and if so, help you to dry it, clean it and sanitize it.
5. What not to do if your carpet or rug gets wet?
- Do not walk on your carpet or rug as this may damage the fibers.
- Do not remove the dirt before it is dry.
- If you do not have the technical knowledge, do not try to repair the carpet or rug. Consult with a carpet expert first to avoid causing further damage.
We hope we have helped you to learn more about Water Damage on Carpet and Rug and what are the do’s and don’ts in each scenario. Even so, we know that it is challenging and to get the best results it is necessary to have years of experience and the profesional equipment, such as a rug water extraction machine:
At Aero Carpet Services LTD, we have been dealing with these types of incidents over 46 years. If you are currently suffering from water damage on your carpet or rug, don’t hesitate to call us at (604) 321-7440 or ask us for a free quote explaining the situation thoroughly and we will inform you of the possibilities for your carpet or rug.
If you liked this article, follow us on our social networks: Instagram, Linkedin, and Facebook where we share new tips every week to help you to keep your home clean!